Empire Justice Center has recently produced a new guide and flyer reviewing how transgender and gender non-conforming New Yorkers are protected under the New York State Division of Human Rights.
From Empire Justice Center:
The new guide for Transgender & Gender-nonconforming New Yorkers explains, in clear, accessible language, how trans and gender-nonconforming New Yorkers are protected under the new regulations under the NYS Human Rights Law. It includes:
- How the law protects trans and GNC people in Employment, Housing, Education, Access to Credit, and Public Accommodations.
- Examples of what illegal discrimination might look like in each of the protected areas.
- Step-by-step guide on how to file a Department of Human Rights complaint.
- Information about other laws and regulations that protect transgender New Yorkers at the national and local level (including information on protections from healthcare discrimination under the Affordable Care Act).
- List of legal resources in NYS with trans-competent staff or programs.
The guide has been many months in the making and will be periodically updated with further legal resources, as more organizations demonstrate competency in providing direct services to the transgender community.
You can view the guide by clicking on the following link: Know Your Rights: A Guide to Understanding Protections for Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People under the New York State Human Rights Law.