Here at The LOFT, we are here to help you during all stages of your transition! Enrollment is free.
Transitioning is a huge part of your life no matter how you choose to transition. It can be a journey that sometimes feels like it’s never-ending. The process of transitioning is a personal choice. It can also evolve over time. Transitions can occur in three different ways:
If you are starting your transition you might be wondering:
- How do I come out to friends and family?
- How do I navigate romantic relationships?
- How do I announce my new pronouns?
- How do I process these changes mentally?
- What are the beginning steps I should take?
- How do I cope with the potential backlash?
- How do I adjust at my job?
- How do I find a community that can relate to me?
- How do I prepare to find new housing if my current housing situation will not be safe or livable?
Or maybe you want help with medically/legally transitioning and you’re wondering:
- How do I start hormone replacement therapy?
- How do I find affirming care from medical providers?
- How do I start the process of getting transitional surgeries?
- How do I find reliable providers to perform these surgeries?
- How do I legally change my name?
- How do I change my name on all my legal documents?
Or, perhaps you’ve met your transition goals and now you’re wondering:
- What else can I do?
- What is next for me in life?
- How do I discover other parts of myself?
- I’ve transitioned, now what?
These are very common questions that many people who identify under the trans umbrella ask themselves. Sometimes, some of these things can be overwhelming and that’s where Trans Support of The Hudson Valley can step in to help you. If you can relate to any of these questions or perhaps something similar then this is the right place for you!
How We Help- Services Offered
🦋 Case Management: Daniela L (she/her/hers/ella) is the Case Manager for The LOFT's Trans Support of The Hudson Valley (TSHV) Program. Daniela provides community-based case management, evidence-based health education, peer navigation, and PrEP support with a focus on expanding the creative coping strategies and resilience that TGNCNB individuals already have.
Peer Navigator: Ejike Figueira (They/She/He Pronouns) a creative, an activist, a non-binary queer, and currently serves as the Peer Cordinator for the TSHV program at the LOFT. Through this role Ejike aids in program development, training, facilitating groups, and providing resources for the community.
Name Change Program: The LOFT's Name Change Assistance Project is a free service offered to community members residing within the Lower Hudson Valley* of New York, seeking assistance to legally change their name and/or gender marker.
Free Workshops: Monthly workshops presented by the TSHV team. Each workshop is different and the location is alternated. There is almost always free HIV/HVC testing available at these workshops.
Career Development: If you need help creating or revamping your resume, we’re here to help. If you need help applying to jobs or need advice on how to navigate as a TGNCNB person at work, you’re at the right place!
Health Needs: Get linked to medical care and therapy, including PrEP, PEP, HIV/STI, Hep C testing
Housing: We offer free resources to those in need or shelters and work with you to help you find long-term housing or create a plan to live on your own!
Public Benefits: Learn about public benefits like disability or unemployment!
Trans Support of the Hudson Valley is a program offered by The LOFT LGBTQ+ Community Center and runs out of The White Plains, NY Campus.
It is run by Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Non-Binary (TGNCNB) peers & in partnership with community allies for the TGNCNB community in the counties of Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Ulster, Dutchess, Westchester, and Sullivan. For more information, please contact Case Manager, Daniela L [email protected]
How to get started:
Give us a call or send us an email!
Daniela L (she/her) | (914) 419-0503 | [email protected]
Ejike Figueria (they/she/he) | (914) 419-1235 | [email protected]
|Click here for the TSHV Workshop Series|
Trans Support of the Hudson Valley (TSHV) hosts a workshop social each month with a community presenter, time to socialize, snacks, and free HIV & Hep C Virus (HCV) testing.
Trans Support Workshops are exclusively for transgender, gender non-conforming, or non-binary (TGNCNB) folx and their partners. TGNCNB individuals who are tested for HIV & HCV will receive a $25 gift card. click here to learn more
- Young Adult Trans Support Group: For ages 18-29, meets 1st & 3rd Tuesdays of every month (6:30-8:00pm)
- Trans Peer Support Group: For ages 18 and up, meets 1st & 3rd Sundays (4-5:30 pm) and 2nd & 4th Saturdays of month (5:30-7:00 PM)
- T-Time: For POC TGNCNB, ages 18 and up, meets 2nd & 4th Wednesdays (6:30-7:30pm)
TransMission is a small scholarship of funds available to applicants who identify within the trans & non-binary communities to offset medical, surgical, legal, and/or social transition-related expenses which are not otherwise covered by insurance. Please note: TransMission scholarships are "microgrants" meant to offset costs related to therapy, hormones, gender-affirming clothing/living expenses, etc, and will not cover the complete cost of most surgical procedures.
Trans-related content that has been published in OUTSpoken: The LOFT's LGBTQ+ Community Blog:
- 5 Facts About Transgender Icon Aimee Stephens
- Do You Inject Hormones? Read About Staying Safe From Hepatitis C
- Supreme Court Guarantees Work Protection for LGBTQ+ Community
- Senator Gillibrand Makes Historic Announcement At The LOFT
- Telling Our Stories: Burning Bright With Flame
- National Coming Out Day: A Poem by Dakota Pinon
- Pronouns With Alex: A New Column
- Does Being Trans, Gender-Non-Conforming, or Non-Binary Put You at Risk For HIV?
- We See You: How the Hudson Valley Trans Forum Aims To Empower the Community
- Ballroom Culture: The Black LGBTQ+ Born Culture Inspiring Millions Around The World
- Transgender Children Are Under Attack—The Time for Action is Now
- Rising Higher and Higher! LGBTQ+ Olympians Rising
To see all the programs and services offered by The LOFT click here!
LOFT Peer Support Groups are open topic, drop-in groups. Groups are led by facilitators who identify as peers with those in attendance. Donations are welcome. Suggested donation is $5; more if you can, less if you can't. To donate, click here or text The LOFT to 44321.